Recipe Source: Our Best Bites
Serves: A lot! (at least 10)
Salt and Pepper
1 lb. Penne
1 tsp. Olive oil
2 chicken breasts
6 T. butter
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. flour
6 garlic cloves, finely minced
6 cups whole milk
10 oz. mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups shredded provolone (6 oz.) (If you can't find shredded Provolone, just use an Italian cheese blend)
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan (6 oz.)
1 package bacon, cooked and chopped (12 oz.)
1 14 oz. jar artichoke hearts, chopped (I prepare the non-marinated kind)
1/2 - 1 cup finely chopped green onions
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly grease 2 shallow 2 quart baking dishes.
2. In a large pot, bring a pot of water to boil and cook Penne just 3 minutes short of al dente. Drain and set aside.
3. While the pasta is cooking, add some olive oil to a large, separate saucepan. Salt and pepper your chicken and add to saucepan. Cook until cooked through and set aside. Once it's cooled, halve your chicken breasts horizontally, and then slice them into strips.
4. Now add the mushrooms and any other desired vegetables to that same saucepan, and saute them just short of being done. Add a little olive oil if necessary. Set them aside once you've sauteed them for a few minutes.
5. In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. (I just used the same pot I used for my pasta. I'm all about getting as few dishes dirty as possible.) Add flour and garlic, whisking for about a minute. Cooking the flour for a few minutes helps get rid of the "floury" taste. While whisking, gradually add milk, and bring to a simmer. Keep whisking the sauce as it begins to thicken, about a minute.
6. Add your mushrooms and artichokes and cook for another couple minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the Provolone and 1/2 cup of the grated Parmesan. Add the chicken, bacon, green onions, and pasta and season with salt and pepper. I found it needed a LOT of salt and pepper at this point.
7. Divide the pasta evenly between your baking dishes and top with remaining Parmesan cheese. (If you're planning on freezing one pan, don't top it with the Parmesan cheese. Instead, put it in a small baggie and freeze it with the Penne.)
8. Bake uncovered, until hot and bubbly, about 25 minutes.