1 12 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups flour
1. Preheat oven to 350. Melt butter and chocolate chips, either in a medium saucepan over low heat or in the microwave. I did it in the microwave because I'm lazy like that.
2. Once the chocolate chips are fully melted, remove from heat, and blend in sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, fully blending before each new egg is added.
3. Add flour and salt and beat until air bubbles form in the batter.
4. Pour in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn the heat down to 325 degrees and bake for 10 more minutes.
5. Cool completely and then top with cookie dough layer.
Cookie Dough Layer:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
3 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour
pinch of salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. In a small bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in milk and vanilla. Gradually add flour and salt. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Drop by tablespoons over fully cooled brownies. Carefully spread over the top. (This can be tricky and the best way to do it to slightly wet your hands and pat the dough down so it doesn't pull up the brownies. Or if you didn't let your brownies cool enough, it'll get super runny and spread easily... not the best way to do it! ;)
Store finished brownies in the fridge. They get better once the dough has had a chance to chill.