Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Chicken Souvlaki - Gyros


My hubby took me to this greek restaurant a little bit ago and I was not excited. I was still calling their main dish, Jy-rohs at the time... He made me try this one gyro with the most delicious chicken I have ever tasted in my life. After that, I was hooked and have been scouring Pinterest for the perfect gyro recipe. Well, I found it.

This has become one of my absolute favorite meals. The marinade for the chicken is so delicious. I can't wait for grilling season to roll around again, since right now, it's too cold to use the grill. But I can't wait until Summer is finally here to enjoy these again- and even eat them outside on our patio!!

For the first time I made them, I actually made the flat bread myself. It wasn't a terribly successful attempt- I think I may be bread-incompetent when it comes to using yeast. It was still good, but I have since then only used store bought pita bread (much easier!)

Chicken Souvlake:
Source: Seemingly Greek

Here's what you'll need:
1 lb. chicken, cubed
4 T. Fresh lemon juice
3-4 T Olive Oil
1 T. red wine vinegar
1 t. oregano
1 t. thyme
2-4 cloves garlic
1/4 onion, sliced or cubed
salt and pepper
wooden skewers
green or red peppers, cubed

What to do:
Whisk the liquid ingredients together and allow cubed chicken and cubed onions to marinate for at least 2-4 hours.

Once finished marinating, alternate the chicken pieces, onion pieces and pepper pieces on skewers.

Be sure to let your wooden skewers soak in water for about 30 minutes before skewering all your veggies/chicken.

Depending on how thick your meat is cut and the size, cook evenly over medium  heat on the grill. Feel free to baste it once or twice while grilling as well- using left over marinade.

Enjoy with pita bread, or Naan bread, Tzatziki sauce and fries!



 

No comments: