Monday, July 2, 2007

A Fabulous Food Frenzy

Hello all! So, I've decided to compile all our favorite family recipes... those from growing up, from now, all my favorite fondue staples, etc. You'll find rouladen, green jell-o cake, peanut butter brownie cookies, jello- chocolate chip cookies, Sara's yummy orange jell-o, and cold broccoli soup (just kidding! These are supposed to be the tasty memorable recipes!) I've also included my family favorite meals, that are kid friendly and easy to whip up together. But... I want your recipes, too! I intend this to be a collaborative site... if you have any family favorites, that you find palate pleasing and simple to put together, share, share, share! If you make a new dinner one night that is fantastic, share the recipe or a picture. Either leave it in the comments or e-mail it to me and I'll include it. Or I'll give you the login for this site and you can post it yourself. Hopefully this will be a great resource to find some of your favorites... and now I won't have to look through six recipe books to find that "one" recipe that I love. I don't intend to leave lots of posts, but on the rare occasion that I put together a weekly meal plan, I'll post it. And if you have a meal plan... post it (Jen... you know who you are!) Or if you have any other food related ideas, thoughts, helps, recipes... post them here. Mmmmm... I'm already excited.

2 comments:

princess jen said...

WOW! You were sure busy posting all those recipes! I know there's a way to make this a group site, to add users. I made Alan a user on my site so he could log in on his own. Anyway, I'm excited to explore all this yumminess! We actually grilled some salmon tonight with a mustard glaze that was WAY tasty. I'll send it on to you soon.

princess jen said...

Okay, I'm back again.

Salmon with Mustard Glaze

Salmon: 6 pieces of salmon fillet (6-8 oz each) with skin on
1 T olive oil
Coarse salt and black pepper

Glaze: 4 t toasted yellow mustard seeds (I didn't actually use these)
3/4 cup mayo (I didn't have enough, so I used half mayo, half plain yogurt)
1/3 cup grainy mustard (I used the spicy brown mustard that I had from Rouladen the other night)
1 T chopped fresh dill (I didn't have fresh, so I used about 3/4 T of dried)
1 t brown sugar (optional) (I did use this)
Coarse salt and black pepper

1. Run fingers over meat side of salmon pieces, feeling for bones. Pull out any you find. Rinse salmon under cold running water and blot dry with paper towels. Brush skin side with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Prepare the glaze: In a nonreactive mixing bowl whisk together 2 t of the mustard seeds and the mayo, mustard, dill and sugar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Set up grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium. When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Place salmon pieces skin side down on the hot grate. Spoon glaze evenly over tops of fish pieces and sprinkle with remaining mustard seeds. Cover the grill and grill until cooked through, about 12-15 minutes. The skin will get dark and crisp. If it starts to burn, slide folded rectangles of aluminum foil beneath each piece of fish to protect the skin. To test for doneness, insert a metal skewer through the side, it should come out very hot to the touch. The top of the fish should be lightly browned.


NOTE: We didn't have pieces, we had one large fillet and it worked fine. I don't eat the skin, so it didn't matter to me that it ended up a little black. We had extra glaze and we served it as a sauce on the side. Anya absolutely loved it and we devoured the whole fillet. As a side dish, we had some sweet corn seasoned with Mrs. Dash and it complemented it quite well. I also made OCHANGO juice (from Costco, Orange Cherry Mango). Super yummy!!