2 medium onions, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 to 2.5 lbs. ground beef
3 cans beans (I used a combination of pinto and red kidney)
46 oz. V8 Juice (I recommend the spicy blend, but you can also use plain tomato juice)
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup ketchup (I like the flavor ketchup imparts to chili, however the taste is slightly strong. If you're not a huge ketchup fan, consider substituting half of the ketchup with plain tomato sauce.)
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup water
3/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne
2 teaspoons cumin
1 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 to 1.5 Tbsp. Cocoa powder (don't use Nesquik here... )
splash of red vinegar
1. Brown the hamburger, onion, and pepper in a large skillet. Drain the fat.
2. In a small bowl, combine the 1/2 cup water with the garlic salt, pepper, chili powder, cayenne pepper, cumin, and brown sugar.
3. In a large pot, combine the tomato juice or V8, beans, tomato sauce, and ketchup. Stir in hamburger mixture and seasoning/water mixture. Add a splash of red vinegar and cocoa powder. Mix well and add bay leaves.
4. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer over medium to low heat, stirring occasionally. In the alternative, at step 3, dump everything into a crockpot instead and cook on low.
5. Serve with green onions, cheese, and sour cream.