Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cajun Shrimp

We love shrimp in our house.  Really LOVE it and I'm always looking for yummy variations.  I found this on Tasty Kitchen and we loved it so much, I made it twice in one week!  And then I made it again for my birthday.  Even the kids loved it, despite a slight kick from the Cajun seasoning.  This is seriously delicious and super fast and easy to whip up.  We paired it with a loaf of Frech bread and used our bread to sop up all the delicious buttery liquid that was in the bottom of the pan.  It may not be pretty on my thighs (nothing really is), but it was SO worth it.  A perfectly quick, easy, and delicious weeknight meal, made even better in that you can use the shrimp either defrosted or still frozen.  Just adjust your baking time accordingly.

Recipe Source: Tasty Kitchen
Serves: 4

1/2 cup butter
2 tsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning
1 tsp. coarse salt (I used Kosher)
1 tsp. black pepper
2 lb. bag of shrimp (the original recipe only calls for 1 1/2 lbs., but I thought that made the dish too salty)

1. Preheat oven to 450°F.

2. Melt butter in a small saucepan and saute the garlic.  Add Cajun spices and salt and pepper and stir well.

3.  Place shrimp in a baking dish and cover with Cajun butter mixture.  Toss to combine and evenly distribute the butter mixture.

4.  Bake uncovered for at least 10 minutes, or until shrimp is pink.  (Mine typically takes about 15 minutes or even longer if I put my shrimp in frozen--then it takes 20-25 minutes.)

5.  Serve with French bread to soak up all the remaining buttery goodness at the bottom of your pan.  Yum!

3 comments:

Endrizzi Life said...

Okay Emily - what cajun seasoning did you use? I've made this twice (with different seasoning)and I don't think it's coming out right. First time I used Tony Chachere's Creole, and the second time Cajun's Choice Blackened Seasoning. I liked the first the best, but I'm curious to see what you used. Thanks! :)

Mythreesons said...

Cori, I actually just use the Cajun Seasoning from McCormick. It's their "perfect pinch" stuff. Nothing fancy. Is the flavor just off for you or is more of the texture thing? Because, the dressing that I put on the shrimp is really pretty grainy/thick. I have been known to halve the amount of seasoning, but I like it for dipping. I'm sorry it's not working for you!

Endrizzi Life said...

Thanks Emily! I'll have to look for the McCormick seasoning. They carry different stuff out here in Florida, so hopefully the will have it. The first time I made it I didn't notice how much salt the seasoning had in it, and added additional salt, so it was good flavored, but way too salty. The second seasoning just wasn't that great in my opinion. Neither of the seasoning I used had a spicy kick, which I was wanting. I'm going to try it again - we love shrimp!