Monday, September 6, 2010

Nutella Panna Cotta

Oh my sweet goodness, I daresay we've managed to make Panna Cotta even better.  When it's comes to recipes, I have absolutely no imagination, whatsoever.  I am definitely a recipe follower.  Which is why it never occurred to me that you can change up your panna cotta, simply by adding different flavors.  When I saw this recipe on bell'alimento, my mouth literally dropped... and I started drooling.  Nutella and panna cotta?  Yum!  This recipe is made in the identical manner as this panna cotta... only you add a couple Tbsp. of some delicious Nutella, and suddenly you have a chocolate version that reminds me of chocolate milk.  It was so good with some fresh strawberries on top.  Now, I can't wait to try the lemon version!  Oh, and this may very well be a new favorite site... she has an entire category devoted to Nutella!  Now, that's my kind of cooking site...

Recipe Source: adapted from bell'alimento
Serves: 6-8

1/3 c. skim milk
2 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream (or you can pretend to cut calories and use half and half... but why?)
1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 packet (.25 oz.) unflavored gelatin
3 Tbsp. Nutella, melted for a few seconds in the microwave

1.  Pour the milk into a small bow, and sprinkle the gelatin powder on top.  Set aside.

2.  In a saucepan, stir together the heavy cream and sugar and set over medium heat.  Cook until it nears a full boil, watching carefully (and stirring frequently) as the cream will quickly rise to the top of the pan. 

3.  Once the mixture is beginning to boil, add the melted Nutella and and bring the mixture back to a boil. 

4. Pour the gelatin mixture into the cream, stirring until completely dissolved.  Cook for one minute, stirring constantly.

5.  Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and pour into six or 7 individual ramekin dishes.  (About 1/2 c. in each dish)

6.  Cool the ramekins uncovered until they're room temperature.  Once they've cooled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or until firm.

7.  Serve with fresh berries, slightly sweetened with sugar.

No comments: