Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Delicious Cornbread

I'm not a big fan of cornbread. I rarely eat it, so at our family reunion a couple weeks ago, I never tried my Aunt Kathie's cornbread, even though everyone raved it was the most delicious cornbread you'd ever eat. Then I heard a cousin say that she adds a box of cake mix to her cornbread to keep it from getting too crumbly and make it extra delicious. Then I wished I had tried it. I needed a side dish for dinner group last week and cornbread was appropriate so I went looking for a cornbread recipe that included a box of cake mix... and lo and behold, I found one on one of my favorite food sites, Our Best Bites.

So, I tried it, and it was indeed delicious. I think just my family alone ate an entire pan of it... including me! It was sooo good. Part of it may have been the extra yummy honey butter we tried with it, also from best bites. Try this stuff... it just may make a cornbread fan out of you, too! Just be forewarned, it makes a TON... I made 1 muffin tray, one 9x13 pan, and some mini-muffins to boot. Just freeze the extra, though, if you don't need all of it. Oh, and our cornbread barely lasted through dinner so I didn't get a picture... I borrowed these from the best bites site.

1 box yellow cake mix
2 boxes Jiffy Cornbread mix
oil, eggs, and milk according to package instructions (replace all water with milk)

Preheat oven according to directions on cake mix box. Combine cake mix and cornbread mixes in a large bowl. Add eggs, oil, and milk according to package directions (remember to replace all water with milk). Mix together according to cake mix directions.

Distribute batter however makes you happiest... muffin tins, square pans, etc. Then bake according to the cake directions. Be sure and try it with the honey butter recipe!

No comments: