Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Kaiserschmaren

This is an Austrian family favorite from growing up. I've made it a couple times for my boys, and they always give me a raised eyebrow. Something about combing their beloved pancakes with apples and raisins. But I love this stuff.

4 eggs, divided... beat egg whites until stiff
2 c. flour
1 t baking powder
1 t vanilla
1 c. milk
pinch of salt
dried apricots or raisins (optional) (rehydrated is better)
3-4 apples, peeled, cored, and diced

1. Mix beaten egg yolks, flour, milk and salt together (play with ingredients to get a pancake batter consistency).

2. Fold in egg whites, apples, and dried fruit.

3. Fry up pancake style in frying pan. Cut up into pieces and sprinkle with sugar.

I usually put a finished pancake into a large bowl, sprinkle it liberally with sugar, and cut it up. Then I put the next finished pancake on top of that, and repeat the process. Eventually I have a bowl full of pancake pieces and just serve this as if it were a salad.

No comments: