These are so amazingly rich, one cookie is like an entire dessert... but they're divine! The delicious peanut butter filling is hidden underneath a layer of chocolate frosting. And the cookies themselves are super soft and chewy. I love these cookies.
1 box Fudge Brownie Mix (18.3 or 18.5 oz. size... the 9x13 package size)
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
4 oz. cream cheese (from 8-oz. pkg.), softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 (16-oz.) can chocolate fudge ready-to-spread frosting
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. In medium bowl, beat brownie mix, melted butter, cream cheese and egg 50 strokes with spoon until well blended (dough will be sticky).
3. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets to make 24 cookies; smooth edge of each to form round cookie.
4. In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and peanut butter with spoon until mixture forms a ball. This makes a very stiff dough. Roll a teaspoonful of peanut butter mixture into 24 small balls.
5. Lightly press 1 ball into center of each ball of dough. This mixture does not spread much during baking, so to get the look I like, I flatten each ball slightly before I place it onto the cookie. That way I don't quite as big a "mound" on top of my cookie. I think it looks better.
6. Bake at 350°F. for 10 to 14 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on cookie sheets at least 30 minutes.
7. Remove from cookie sheets. Once they're completely cooked, spread a thin layer of frosting over peanut butter portion of each cooled cookie.