Thursday, June 28, 2007

Oma's Apricot Cake

This is one my favorite cake recipes from my Oma. It is so perfectly moist and tender. I love the subtle apricot. And it always turns out for me. I have never had it end up crumbly or tough, which is more than I can say for the rest of my temperamental German cake recipes. The outside tends to get a bit dark in my oven, but the inside stays nice and moist. Be sure and check it with a toothpick for doneness.


400 grams (1 can apricots, chopped), juices reserved
a couple teaspoons of apricot jam/jelly
1/2 lb. butter, softened
200 grams sugar
1 t vanilla
1/2-1 t lemon aroma
5 eggs (feel free to substitute egg replacers for some of these... it's a lot of eggs!)
250 grams flour
2 t baking powder
1. Combine flour and baking powder in a separate, medium bowl.

2. Combine butter and sugar in mixing bowl.

3. Beat in eggs, vanilla, and lemon aroma.

4. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and blend on medium speed, until well incorporated.

5. Pour 1/2 of the dough into a well greased springform pan.

6. Fold the chopped apricots into the remaining batter. Pour it over the batter in the springform pan.

7. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. (My oven cooks slow and I usually need the full 60 minutes. But check it after 45 minutes.)

8. Combine the reserved apricot juice and enough apricot jelly to thicken it up just a little. Spoon it over the hot cake as soon as it comes out of the oven.


No comments: